Are you a Stylista or a fashionista??? Do you know the difference? If you don’t know the difference, never fear, you are not alone! Talking to women, I often find that they are confused about the difference between style and fashion. ‘Aren’t they the same thing?’ I am often asked; Well, to put things simply, the answer is no.
Style is a way of expressing your personality and your individuality while fashion is about following trends, which if you think about it, makes being stylish a lot more affordable. A Stylista is a person who is stylish on their own terms, oozing confidence in their self awareness. A Fashionista is someone who is a slave to fashion and the ever changing seasonal trends. One of my favorite all time quotes is by John Fairchild which sums this up completely. Style is an expression of individualism mixed with charisma. Fashion is something that comes after style?
Simply put, style starts with self-knowledge. You need to understand who you are or who you want to be in order to develop a style you can feel confident wearing. Spend some time taking a look at yourself, your lifestyle, and your aspirations. What makes you unique? What aspects of yourself do you want to share with the world? Is it your romanticism, your quick wit, your rebellious streak? Once you know how you want to present yourself to the world, it is easy to create a wardrobe that reflects that image.
Being stylish allows you to create a unique look and you can inject elements of the fashion trends into you your image ? being stylish doesn?t mean being safe or boring. However, there are some universal elements to style that all women should follow.
- Select outfits that are appropriate for your age and the occasion.
- Always go for a great fit. There is no need to spend lots of money on clothes; rather, just make sure any clothes you wear are flattering to your shape. If necessary, have them professionally fitted by a trusted tailor. It is an inexpensive way of looking and feeling like a million dollars.
- Know your colors. Some colours will make you glow while others will make you appear unhealthy and tired. A color consultant can simplify the whole process for you ? a great investment for anybody
- It is important to understand the concept of the Vital V, the area that forms a V shape from the tips of your shoulders down the point between your bust. This is the area that always draws people’s attention first. Make sure the colours you use in this area complement your skin tone. This doesn’t mean you can never wear other colours. If you love a particular shade of blue, for instance, but you know it is not your color, you can still wear it; just ensure it is not within the Vital V zone.
- Finish your look with flattering makeup.
- Choose accessories to complement your look. Accessories are a great way to create an individual style and are also an inexpensive way to update your wardrobe season after season.
- Finally, wear your style with confidence and poise. You sell your look, not the clothes. Creating your own style, rather than following fashions, is incredibly liberating. Don’t worry about your look becoming static and outdated if you don’t stay ‘in fashion’. True style evolves naturally over time, along with a woman’s character and lifestyle.
Ultimately, style is a celebration of individuality and celebrates the fact that we are all different. A woman who knows who she is and has the confidence to express it, can create a style that is fun-loving, optimistic, classy, quirky, athletic…the possibilities are endless! Remember it was Yves Saint Laurent who famously exclaimed that ‘Fashions fade, but style is eternal’.
Consider investing in yourself by consulting one of our image consultants, they can help you develop and find your own style. Please feel free to talk to one of our image consultants. To find a consultant nearest to you, visit www.imageconsultantstraining.com